Light, fluffy, no oil, low fat, high protein, vegetable flan cooked using water in a frypan. This is another one of Mum’s recipes extracted from combining ideas from her various cookbooks. She loves cooking nutritional foods and if you don’t have a gall bladder, this is easily digested. She is very keen on fresh ingredients from her garden whenever seasonally possible. She is a legend in cooking according to our family.
Serves 4 if enjoying it for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Serves 6 with a salad. If any left over I freeze portions for my school lunches. It can be eaten cold or warmed up.
To reduce ingredients in the recipe, allow 2 eggs per person and reduce the size of the veggies from large to medium.
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 large potato
- 1 large onion
- 3/4 cup water (no oil)
- 8 eggs
- 2 tablspns Cheese – grated (Parmesan or favourite cheese)
- herbs – see below
- herbs – Rosemary, Mint, Oregano, Parsley (garden fresh)
- salt & pepper
- Cube vegetables.
- Add 3/4cup water to frypan.
- Add vegetables, salt, to frypan.
- Stir. Put lid back on so veggies semi cook in water.
- Chop herbs (optional)
- Add beaten eggs to herbs and mix.
- Stir egg gently into veggie mix.
- Use egg lifter to gently move egg mixture so it cooks evenly. It will become drier.
- Sprinkle your favourite cheese on top. Do not mix.
- Place fry pan under grill until golden.
- Slice and serve.
Mum likes to use stainless or cast iron frypan because it is versatile. Metal can also go under the grill.