I’ve never had so much fun watching kids play cards. The pure joy and fun-ness of their
facial expressions had me totally captivated. I didn’t realise what was actually happening until about the fifth turn when their Dad started to protest. The girls totally loved that
they were beating him at this card game. Dad tried every trick in the book, but failed to consider that the girls had learned ‘to cleverly cheat’ from the best — him. It became even more entertaining once I twigged the girls had turned the tables on their Dad. With stakes raised, it became a wrestle for the best player trophy.
- 1 pack of 52 Cards
- 2-4 players
- 7 cards each,
- Sort your hand into suits
- Decide which suit to keep (or have the most of)
- Get 7 cards of one suit to win – That’s is when your say ‘My Ship Sails’
Instructions – Stage 1 & 2
- Organise your hand of 7 cards into suits.
- Start left of dealer.
- Select which cards to put in the centre (or throw out)
- If you want to keep all your cards, you say ‘pass’
- Decide whether to collect from discarded pile or face-down pile in centre
- Pass to left – each player has 4 turns, during the first 4 rounds, to discard and/or collect cards
- If your ship sails during this time, you call out: ‘My Ship Sails’.
- After the first 4 passes, if you have more than 7 cards, then discard the extras onto discarded-card pile.
- If you don’t have 7 cards, then pick up from face-down pile.
- Next, start with person 1 again
- Pick up one card from face-down or discarded pile in centre
- Continue this until you get 7 of the same suit.
- Once your ‘ship sails’ or 7 of the same suit, you say ‘My Ship Sails’ which means you have won.
- The game continues to the end.