Cooking quinoa in a saucepan was time-consuming because I felt I had to keep lifting the lid to ensure it didn’t over boil.
However, my sister-in-law has taught me a no-fuss, easy way to cook Quinoa. Using the microwave technology has been a more enjoyable, hassle and stress-free experience.
Microwave Wattage Tips
When I used the 1000w microwave, the quinoa didn’t over-boil. However, the 1200w microwave needed some experimenting. I’ve taken the guess work out of it for you because 1200w cooks at a ‘higher temperature’ and faster than the 1000w. If using 1200w, set it to 60% power when cooking quinoa. Here are some photos, recipe and video footage for microwaving Quinoa. Quinoa is not only nutritional, but a multi-useful ingredient which can be used in salads, soups, veggies, cakes and anything else you want to experiment with.
- 1 cup (or 250mL) white or multi-coloured quinoa
- 2 cups (or 500mL) boiling water
- *Use same size cup for quinoa and boiling water
- 250mL cup
- min 1L (large) microwave dish
- fork (fluffing)
- Place one cup quinoa in large microwave dish
- Place two cups boiling water in with quinoa
- Cook uncovered for 15min (60% power using 1200w microwave or 1000w on high)
Video Stages of Cooking Process
Stage 5 – The quinoa ‘fluffing’ stage as it has dried out sufficiently ready to serve in your hot or cold dish.